Thursday, March 14, 2013

Storybird

Good morning everyone!  It's Thursday... I don't know about you, but changing the clock by one hour always does me in.  I have been tired all week and from the looks of my coworkers, they have been too!  Of course, my students don't show signs of being tired - EVER...oh, to be young again!

So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Storybird?  If you are not familiar with it, Storybird is a website that features artwork from various artists and you can create stories to accompany the pictures.  I am trying this out with my third graders this year as part of the "Instructional Technology" class that I am taking.  So far, we have just been exploring the site and reading stories that have already been created.  The students seem to love it, so we'll see how things go as we move to the next phase, which is creating our own stories.  If you have any information about Storybird - good, bad, or ugly - please share!  Thanks so much and have a fantastic day!

4 comments:

  1. Last school year, I taught in Amanda Whitaker's room and she used Story Bird to have the students create stories using vocabulary and spelling words. The kids really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the information! I haven't chatted with her about it, but I certainly will! Thanks for your comment Mrs. Keenan.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this idea. We do something similar with our writing by finding pictures out of magazines and creating a story with certain guidelines to follow. What would be really neat is for the art teacher to incorporate this into her curriculum using other students artwork. My cousin children go to a school in Maui and they use this being that theya are school based on the arts. She absolutely loves it. I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,

    I am using Storybird as my action inquiry project. My problem was to find a way to share my students' writing with a larger audience using technology. So far, my students absolutely love Storybird and it has been a great success. I can't believe I didn't have my students do something like this earlier! It is a great way for my students to build an online library. Many of my students have even worked on their stories at home. I would recommend Storybird to everyone! It is very user friendly and the students love it.

    Thanks for commenting Amy!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete