Thursday, March 21, 2013

I'm No Van Gogh...

As I've mentioned before, teachers are responsible for art at my school.  I am always looking for new ideas for my students.  There are many great projects out there and I am grateful that so many art teachers share their ideas.  Something that I started last year was featuring famous artists and having my students try to recreate some of their most famous paintings.  The pictures below are from Van Gogh's "Starry Night" and Kandinsky's "Circles."  The students are always very intimidated before they begin, but I am always amazed at what they produce... and I think they are too!


So, any great art ideas out there that you'd like to share?  I am always looking for new ideas and I'd like to hear yours!  Have an amazing day - spring obviously didn't know that we were expecting it to be 70 degrees yesterday...

4 comments:

  1. I am an ELL teacher so I always love multicultural art projects! It’s a fun way to educate students about other cultures and also helps your minority students feel at home and as if they can be experts at something. This year, my art teacher and I collaborated to have students make some sugar skulls for Dia de Los Muertos, a Mexican holiday that falls around Halloween. Another grade level used chalk on black paper to create drawing of the happy, colorful skeletons seen around this holiday. It was a great way to teach students how people around the world celebrate this holiday. My students spoke about how their families celebrate the holiday and brought in pictures and relics to build the class’ background knowledge before beginning their projects.
    We have also made Chinese Dragon “kites” around the Chinese New Year. Again our “student experts” shared first, and we did some read-alouds to build background knowledge before actual creating began.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    What great ideas! Thanks so much for sharing. There isn't much diversity in the school where I teach, so it would be a great idea to introduce other holidays through art. I love the idea of Chinese Dragon kites - they would be a colorful addition to the classroom.

    :-) Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your art projects always look so awesome in the hallway. It always amazes me when I look at what your students have created! I must admit your art projects have inspired me to try to squeeze in more art projects of my own that aren't always tied to a curriculum idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ms. Reidy! I try to do an art activity every Friday. The students look forward to it and are always excited to see what we will be doing. I remember how much I loved art in elementary, and I want that for my students as well. I do try to tie some art projects into the curriculum, like the symmetry painting and the synonym flowers. However, I do believe that they need art just for the sake of art! :-)

    ReplyDelete