Sunday, April 7, 2013

How do we help the endangered animals?

This week, one of my reading groups was reading the book, "Endangered Animals."  We were able to have amazing discussions and one student  asked what we could do to help.  As we spent more time talking about the many endangered species of animals, the students continued to ask if there was anything we could do to help.  So, while watching television one night, a commercial came on for the World Wildlife Fund.  I decided that this would be a perfect way for my students to help endangered animals.  The next day I showed the students the many animals that we could choose from for a "symbolic adoption."  They ended up choosing the snow leopard.  For a donation of $25, we will receive a certificate showing that we have adopted a snow leopard and a picture of a snow leopard.  I let the students in the reading group explain what we had decided to do to the rest of the class and they were all very surprised and excited!  I sent home simple certificates with the students so they could share the news with their parents.  On Friday, one of my students shared that he and his little sister adopted a macaw!  How exciting!  This was an amazing opportunity to make a real world connection for my students.  Hopefully they realize the importance of protecting endangered animals.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment